Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St.Patty's Day and Happy Birthday Ryan!

Today is the day of green and I have to say I am excited like a 5 year old at Christmas. I love St.Patty's day. For me it's not about the beer, it's not about the leprechaun's or even wearing green, for me it's about my family history.

During the potato famine my "whole bunch of greats" Grandpa Hamilton settled to Canada from Ireland. His brother had arrived across the River in Dunrobin before him but once he arrived the story goes that he couldn't settle near there and opted for the Quebec side.


That 50 acre lot that he built a sod shanty on and married on is still in the family today. The original house that they built after the sod shanty is now inhabited by my brother. After they had children they passed that house down to the oldest son and built a retirement home right across the road, which is now my home.


Years after my Grandpa (Hillis) Hamilton was born on March 17, 1919. When he was born he had so much hair that the nurses tied a green ribbon in it. To keep that tradition alive every year I tie a green ribbon in my hair.


My green ribbon this year.

Grandpa passed away before I ever met Ryan. When Ryan and I started dating and I found out that his birthday landed on the same day I was excited. As silly as it sounds, I thought in a way that Grandpa was smiling down on me by introducing me to such a wonderful man, guiding me to him.



Ryan on his birthday last year.



Happy Birthday Ryan and Happy St.Patricks Day to everyone!



Wishing you a rainbow


For sunlight after showers—


Miles and miles of Irish smiles


For golden happy hours—


Shamrocks at your doorway


For luck and laughter too,


And a host of friends that never ends


Each day your whole life through!


xo

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Grandpa Hillis and Happy Birthday Ryan....
    I like his picture from last year with the foil 27...that was always a tradition at birthdays in that house growing up - whatever year you or Jared were turning, you would expect to see the foil numbers hanging from the light!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha Ya that is a traditon that will always be in my house. Because we are celebrating both my brothers and Ryans birthday tonight I have to make a "27" and a "28" last night! This year Im saving the 28 for Jared next year! ha ha Cheap Decorations

    ReplyDelete