Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Reason # 204 Why I Love My Small Town

By now I am sure that you know that I love living in a small town. Besides the privacy and constant feeling of safety there are other perks that you maybe not be aware of.


Ever since I was a little girl my parents brought my brother and I to church. My dad plays the organ every other month and so church and religion has always played a special role in my life. It is a smaller congregation but there is a lot of heart and hard work that goes into keeping the church running.


Some of the strongest/most talented women that you will ever meet are our Quyon/Wesley United Church Women. These women organize, set up and cook for many events to raise funds for church charity events. They are the role models that young woman should look up to. Faithful, charitable, hard working women.


One of the Ladies getting organized

A few years back they started organizing a monthly event called "Soup & Sandwich". For only $6.00 you are able to go to the basement of the church at lunch time for Homemade soups, sandwiches, desserts and coffee or tea. It is so much more than ordinary soup though. There are usually 3-4 different kinds of hot, homemade soup.....chicken noodle, hamburger, vegetable...oh my.


Then those sandwiches. Have you ever noticed that sandwiches taste so much better when someone else has made them? Egg, ham, tuna, etc. The possibilities are endless. It's the perfect little triangle sandwich that only church ladies can make perfectly.



After you have stuffed yourself full of soup and sandwiches you head over to the dessert table to make the difficult decision of which of the 3 homemade desserts you will choose. I always try to convince my mom and Jill to pick the opposite dessert then what I have so that I can get a taste of all 3 kinds...:-)


$6.00 is such a small cost for such an incredible meal but it makes my heart glow to see the local town people coming in to enjoy the lunch as well. Farmers, school teachers and retiree's, everyone enjoys it. It is events and church ladies like this that makes living in a small town so special.


Church Basement during Soup & Sandwich

Today will be the last Soup & Sandwich until next January and I am going to savour every last bite! Yum!

xo

1 comment:

  1. I was home with Maddy yesterday and was able to attend the last Soup and Sandwich gathering of this year...I don't have the luxury of going because I work in the city...I used to go every month though when I was home on Mat leave and would bring Maddy when she was little...the church ladies especially love seeing the young ones go!
    I thoroughly enjoyed my hamburger soup yesterday!

    ReplyDelete