This has been a tough week. Sam and I have been suffering from a couple of colds and while he seems on the mend, my lack of sleep is causing the cold to get worse rather than better. I am usually the type of person with a strong immune system and sickness doesn't last long for me. So for this cold to be kicking my butt the way it is, sucks. But the weekend is almost here and I hope to be able to get some solid sleep to help.
1. I am so glad Sam is a good sleeper like his Dad and not like me. Despite the fact that I try to go to bed early because I get up super early, I have a hard time turning my brain off. If I get 5 hours of sleep a night, that is a good night. Did you know JFK was also a horrible sleeper as well? I guess that's what happens when you are President. He was also a famous napper! It was part of his daily routine. Read about it here. The other day, I went down to the empty offices in the basement, set my alarm for 15 minutes and had a little power nap with my head on the desk. Sometimes it's the only way I can get through the rest of the day.
2. When I was little, there use to be a Quyon Fair! I loved our little fair! From riding the rides, submitting things into to get judged and playing the games The other thing that use to be HUGE in our town (and around Fair time) was the Quyon Tractor Pull. The last pull was in the early 90's and this year it is making a come back! I am so excited to go and watch this classic event take place! The town is a BUZZ with the excitement for this event.
3. Lately Sam is in love and obsessed with all things Mickey Mouse! He has a Mickey that we got him in Florida and we watch it on TV. The other day Ryan read him one of his old Mickey books from when he was a kid. Sam now calls it "Dada's Book" and wants to cart it around everywhere! We talked about going no where this winter but seeing how much Sam is loving Mickey lately REALLY makes us want to head to Florida again. The difference would be we would stay off property and maybe fly out of Watertown to save big bucks. We'll see how the rest of the year goes!
4. I am loving all the farm happenings lately. Cropping season is here which is always an exciting time. It takes a lot of work to get a field ready to seed. Bio-soilds, chicken manure, discing multiple times and leveling the field. I love that Sam is around this kind of environment. Despite his love of tractors, I love teaching him how things grow. The other day 100 little chicks arrived to be shipped and live at another farm until it was time butch them for the freezer. It was fun to have Sam feel their soft feathers and show it was a baby chicken and he continue to "buck buck" all evening long.
5. The last couple weeks I have felt this enormous sense of being on the brink of falling apart. Work has been busy, home has been busy and I had this feeling of juggling 4 balls and at any moment one of those balls were going to drop. I am not very good at asking for help. In fact, I don't ever ask for help. But I knew I had to in order to keep things going, including my sanity. Thankfully, Ryan has really stepped up and I just need to give clear instructions and it happens. Between making supper, doing dishes and putting Sam to bed, he has been a rock star. It is against every bone in my body to spend the money but I have also declared the day that I work in the city, it's easy supper/take out night! It just gives me a little ease in the busy season.
Hope you all have a great weekend!