Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Better Butter Chicken

I can get really sick of eating the same kinds of food all the time. Nothing is worse than eating meat and potatoes over and over again. To spice up our meal plan Ryan and I added a Indian dish; Butter Chicken. However like the name it can be full of grease and fat but flipping through my "Eat, Shrink and Be Merry" book I found this recipe that contains half the fat.

Better Butter Chicken

- 1 Rotisserie Chicken

- 1 package of Nann bread

- 1 can of diced tomatoes

- 1/2 can of tomato paste

- 1/3 cup of cream (I just use milk to save money)

- 1 tbsp of butter

- 1 chopped onion

- 1/4 cup of sour cream

- 1 tsp of garlic, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric

- 1/2 tsp of Chili powder

- salt & pepper

- 1 tbsp of brown sugar

- Rice

All the ingredients


* If you notice in the picture above I have already sliced my chicken and onions the night before. This saves so much time in the cooking process!

* Also, tomato paste freezes really nicely and can be stored till the next time you need it.


1. In a large frying pan, melt butter. Add onions and cook until browned and tender.



2. Add spices and cook for another minute.



3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and brown sugar. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.



4. Add chicken, sour cream, and the cream. Mix and cook for an additional 5 minutes.



5. Serve Butter Chicken over top of rice and with warmed Nann bread.


6. Enjoy! :-)

What I love about this recipe is that it tastes like something out of an Indian restaurant. It is so simple to make (after your chicken and onions is chopped) and comes from mostly fresh ingredients from my cupboard. Regular Butter Chicken has nearly 500 calories per serving but this recipe has only 300 calories. It can be a little bit more expensive to make being that you are buying pre cooked rotisserie chicken and special Nann bread. However, if you place it in a week that the rest of the recipes are a little less expensive it will all balance out.

Happy Cooking!

xo

3 comments:

  1. i know that I am not too brave to try to ethnic dishes, especially indian cuz I do not like curry but this sounds delish, no curry in it...not sure about the cinnamon, i find that spice is more for desserts, not dinner, maybe i can just omit that one - and tumeric - well i dont know what that tastes like - is it hot? is it for color? or should i be worried that its like curry??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this recipe and so does Wayne... and he's SO picky! I make it every once in a while to change things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,
    This is dish does not taste like curry at all. I would recommend keeping the cinnamon in the dish because it really goes well with turmeric and chili. Turmeric has an earthy/nutty taste. The dish isn't very spicy but the chili does give it a little kick. Ryan has a weak stomach for hot things and it doesn't bother him at all.

    Sharon, I'm glad your picky eater can enjoy this recipe! Ryan is the same way! I love taking the leftovers on my lunch the next day! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete