Happy Wednesday! Not going to lie. This week has been interesting. Daycare is closed but thankfully my mother in law came to the rescue and agreed to watch Sam for 3 days this week which allows me to still work and figure out what to do the remaining days! Thank you Bev for always being there and so willingly accepting to watch Sam when we are in a pinch!
I think my biggest challenge since going back to work has been our evening schedule. It is SO hard to get home, keep Sam happy and get supper ready at a reasonable time. After daycare Sam is EXHAUSTED and has no problem going to bed at 6:30-7 PM. Being that we don't get home till around 5, this means that supper, bath and bed (and any hanging out) all has to happen within 2 hours. Sometimes, that's really hard!
I've had to get creative and think in advance when it comes to suppers. I've had to adjust my meal plan to only include items that can be cooked and on the table in 15 or so minutes. I just don't want to spend all night at the stove when I could be hanging with my boys. Not to mention within 30 minutes Sam is cranky and looking for food.
A quick "15 Minute Dinner" search and I've tried a few new recipes. Some have been big failures but others, like this one have become part of our latest meal plan!
Package of Cheese stuffed tortellini
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup of diced onion (I do this the night or morning before)
1/2-1 cup of canned PURE pumpkin
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup Parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cook tortellini according to package.
2. Meanwhile, heat the butter in skillet, add onion and cook until soft. Add the pumpkin and nutmeg and stir while continuing to cook for about 1 minute.
3. Stir in cream. This will look off at first but keep stirring!
4. Continue to stir until cream sauce comes to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese and cook until thick (about 1 minute). Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add sauce to tortellini and toss so that it is well combined with the sauce.
This has quickly became one of Sams favorite meals! He gobbles it right up and truthfully so do Ryan and I. My husband is a picky eater and at first turned his nose up at the thought of pumpkin but admits that he can't even taste it!
This meal is so quick and it has us all sitting at the table quickly. I now watch for sales on the tortellini and stock up when it comes out at a good price! But being that this meal doesn't have meat in it, it is a reasonably priced supper to make! Which as you all know, is right up my alley! :)
Have a great day!