Friday, September 17, 2010

Is it Friday yet??

I have never looked forward to a Friday so much as this one!! Being that I have felt awful this week, and yet still have to suck it up, pull up my socks and work anyways, I am especially happy to see Friday arrive. Tomorrow, will be the first Saturday in a month that I can sleep in. And by sleep in I mean past 6:00 Am. Yay!!

I'm anticipating a quiet weekend and I have to say that I am relieved to not have anything planned for once! Is it just me or does it seem like EVERY weekend seems like there is always something going on? I think this is my last free weekend until Christmas! Weh!

This was the last full week of summer! Wow! Next week is the first day of fall and guess what that means, I can start putting my fall decorations out! Woo hoo! I know I could have put them out ahead of time but being that I am weird I like to wait until the "official" start of a season.

So, I am doing pretty well on my 101 in 1001 days list! This past week Ryan and I harvested our vegetables out of our garden! I wasn't sure how our veggies would turn out since sometimes our garden would be neglected and weedy but low and behold we have food! Not that we will survive for the whole winter on our crop or anything but we were pretty proud to see that we could actually grow something! ha ha! (Turf is so much easier to grow!)

Here is our crops:

Potatoes from one hill (out of 4)
Carrots:



With our potatoes I made some chips in the oven with supper.



With some of the carrots I made some easy, pleasing carrot cake! Yum!

Here is the recipe (from Kraft):

Ingredients:

1 package of spice cake mix
2 cups of shredded carrots

(or if you are like me I use my slap chopper thingie instead)
1 can of crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup of chopped pecans

Then you can make your own cream cheese icing or if you are in a rush like I was just used bought cream cheese icing.

Heat oven to 350.

Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Stir in carrots, pineapple, and 3/4 cups of pecans. Pour into greased pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.


Once cooked, ice, top with remaing pecans and enjoy!!

** I would have taken picture of the cooked carrot cake but it was too delicious to even stop to think to grab my camera! Yum!!

This is such a simple, easy, cheater recipe. Sure I love homemade, from scratch carrot cake just like the next person but sometimes you need you whip something up in a flash and this PERFECT for that!!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!! I can't wait to relax and finally kick this cold in the you-know-what!!!
xo

4 comments:

  1. I made that carrot cake recipe before and my better half didn't like it as much as a "homemade, from scratch" recipe! I am not a fan of carrot cake or anything so I can't judge! It's funny though how with carrot cake, you just always have to have cream cheese icing (which I dislike as well)...LOL
    Have a good, relaxing weekend - i am starting to decorate this weekend...I have an oil change Saturday morning then I am going to go and look for "fall decorations" in the outdoors...go hit up some corn fields, find some pumpkins and get my bales of hay/straw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm fresh produce!!!!

    I hope you have an awesoem weekend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm that looks wonderful (the cake)! The carrots were awesome looking too! We wanted to do a garden this summer but just didn't have the time. That's next summer's goal... plus it'll shrink my yard by a little bit! Yey!

    I hope you kick that cold in the ying yang and yup lucky for you, it is Friday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your relaxing weekend!! And I am so jealous that you are able to harvest your own vegetables- if we lived somewhere with more land I would definitely want to try that!

    ReplyDelete