Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Things I Never Buy, Anymore!

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope that you are having a good week! This week is going WAY more smoothly then last week. I feel as though I'm into a groove this week. I guess it took a hectic week last week to get into the Spring rush! It's busy. And I hardly have time to think but it almost feels more manageable this week? Weird! 

Remember the other day how I mentioned that I didn't think I would ever buy BBQ sauce ever again because I had enjoyed making it so much? 

Well it got me to thinking! BBQ sauce is not the only thing that I refuse to buy anymore! Not only out of cost and convenience but also because I really like to know what goes into things! 

Here is some other items that I either never or hardly buy: 

1. Pizza 


There is no place that delivers pizza to our house. If we want pizza, we have to order it and go pick it up. It's also CRAZY expensive in my mind! Buying something that is over $20 when I can just make it at home for less then half the cost! Not to mention I know exactly what is going into it! 

Recently I have been trying out making dough in my bread maker. It's a little tricky as I have to make it ahead of time and delay start it. It takes a little longer but I have to admit, it makes for a fluffier pizza dough! 

Either way, sometimes I will pick up a quick frozen pizza to have but that is rare! To me, homemade is the way to go! 

2. Pre-chopped garlic 

You know those little jars of pre-chopped garlic? They gross me out! There's something in the oil or preservatives that gives it an off taste. I invested in a good garlic press and I've never looked back since! Garlic bulbs are cheaper, healthier and taste better! 

3. Speaking of garlic, garlic bread is another thing I never buy. 

Frozen garlic bread from the store never tastes as good as something from home. I use this recipe with my bread maker and have some in the freezer. If I don't, I use either some homemade bread or buns and I mix some fresh minced garlic and butter together and spread it! Pop it in the oven for 5-7 minutes, top with cheese and it's an easy and cheap garlic bread alternative! 

4. Oatmeal 


Did you ever see packages of those pre-mixed flavored oatmeal's? I shake my head at that! Who knows what is in there (not real blueberries!) and so much sugar! A bag of oatmeal is CHEAP at the store! I like to take 1/4 a cup of oats in my cereal bowl, 1/2 cup of water and microwave for 1.5 minutes! I add peanut butter, a few chocolate chips and half a banana! Super easy! 

5. Cookies 

I NEVER buy cookies from the store. My husband is spoiled, he always get's homemade cookies for his lunch. Yes, it would be so much easier to buy them but I actually enjoy making cookies. I've never cost compared. I think a box of Oreo cookies would likely be cheaper BUT to me, homemade cookies always best better! Hands down! 

6. Hamburger buns 


I have to thank my friend Sara for this one. She actually gave me the idea because she mentioned she makes hamburger buns with her bread maker. Since that day, I've been doing the same! I love knowing what is in them and it is very easy to do! I KNOW this one is cheaper and I KNOW that it is healthier. Have you ever wondered why a store bought bread can stay "good" for so much longer then homemade bread? I've recently been thinking more about it and the thoughts of all the preservatives kind of freaks me out. 

7. Cards 

Am I the only one that thinks the price of greeting cards is CRAZY? So expensive! Now, I don't always make my own cards but I do try to every once in a while! I use my silhouette cutter to help me with this one. Card stock is cheap! You can get it from the dollar store. A few minutes of time to make a card will not only saves me money but I like putting the effort into a card for someone. 

8. Mashed Potatoes 

I love an easy meal as much as the next person. But I CANNOT imagine making boxed potatoes. They kind of creep me out. Plus, a bag of potatoes is pretty cost friendly and potatoes in many forms are easy to make! 

9.  Static Sheets 

This is kind of a weird one but I started using Norwex dryer balls a few years ago. After many uses, they got worn and I've never had them replaced. You know what I noticed? Not much of anything. We don't use any static stuff in our dryer and I actually find the smell of static sheets to be too strong now. I don't blame people for wanting less static! But there are way better, healthier options. Want to see some ingredients, read this

10. Feminine hygiene products 

Ok...I may have saved the strangest (and most gross) for last. Please just leave if this kind of stuff grosses you out! 

After having Sam, I was having a little trouble with my monthly cycle. Not only was it random times and all over the place, but tampons hurt! It would give me a painful sensation if it was there for over an hour. And, I hate pads! 

I had heard from MODG about THINX underwear. These work great on the lighter days but being that I hate pads, they weren't my best option. BUT they worked and I now have three pairs of these and LOVE THEM! 

Through some research, I had heard about a cup! A menstrual cup is a silicone bell shaped cup that basically collects the blood. You use it month after month. I was SO grossed out and skeptical but I needed to try something! For 30$ I figured it was worth a try. Well, that was in December and I have not bought or used a tampon or pad since then. My Diva Cup has already paid for itself. 

It has honestly changed the way I think about my monthly cycle. I don't dread it AS much. For me since using the cup, my periods feel shorter and I have had WAY less cramps. I read somewhere once that your period is technically not shorter but it feels that way because you aren't always in a bathroom changing your tampon. I place mine in the morning and once at night and that is it! I never look at it again throughout the day. 

These are just some of the random stuff that I have stopped purchasing and I am always looking for new ways to not only save money but to also improve some things in the home. For me, it is important to be easy, cost effective and something that fits into my already busy life. 

What are some of the things you never buy? 

xo 

6 comments:

  1. Been using a diva cup for many years (since after I had Amelia) I will never go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooohhh can I have your hamburger bun recipe?? they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, please, and thanks. I'd add some oat bran, or whole wheat to make them healthier.

      Delete
  3. I hardly ever buy soup. I love homemade soup, and like you, Lindsay, I like knowing what ingredients are in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a motivating post!!! I would prefer to do most of these things, but often find myself buying premade stuff!! I do love my wool dryer balls and will add essential oil to them to add some smell! What is the hamburger recipe? Do you do one big bake day? I soo need to get more organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and which kind of oatmeal do you buy? Quick oats or steel cut?

    ReplyDelete