Thursday, December 3, 2009

Japanese Meatballs

I don't know about you but some nights in the week I REALLY don't feel like getting home from a busy day at work and getting right back to work in the kitchen. Even though 30 minutes isn't a long time to spend on preparing food sometimes I just want a break! So I give myself a break using this recipe!


On Sunday night while I was waiting for another meal to finish in the oven I gathered up all my ingredients for Wednesdays night's supper.




Japanese meatballs have become a favorite for Ryan and I. Ryan refused to even try them when we first started dating. I actually had to win a game of cards and for the bet he had to try a meatball. Sneaky, sneaky! :-) Ever since then we haven't seen meatball leftovers. ha ha!



First start your oven at 350 degrees. Take the hamburger (I use a small package for just the two of us) and add 1 egg, 3 tablespoons of oatmeal and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.





Using your hands or a pampered chef medium sized scoop form the hamburger mixture into balls. Place them on a cookie sheet. Place them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked. Tip: I always line my pan with aluminum foil so that it allows for easier clean up when they are done cooking.




Meanwhile while the meatballs are cooking mix together 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 ketchup and 1 tsp of ginger. I always go ahead and put all the ingredients right in the dish that the meatballs are going in, the less dishes the better!! Once the meatballs are done cooking add them to sauce mixture.




You can chose to eat them right away or freeze them till you need them.These meatballs freeze really well, not only do they not lose their shape but the sauce really marinates the meatballs. I chose to freeze mine till Wednesday, take them out the morning of the day we're eating them, and stick them in the oven until they are fully warm. Make some rice, a vegetable and enjoy a meal that is not only delisious but also under $10.00!

Enjoy
xo

3 comments:

  1. MM Sounds yummy, I will have to try it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i like how you took pics of the steps etc...
    sounds yummy - almost the same as my sweet and sour sauce recipe for my meatballs, minus the ginger and i use breadcrumbs instead of oatmeal....yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha Well I always like looking at pictures so I figured everyone else would too! :-) Ryan was making fun of me taking pictures of making meatballs.

    ReplyDelete