Friday, October 26, 2012

Potato Leek Soup

 

Happy Friday!! It’s going to be a very wet (with rain) weekend around these parts. But I’m not complaining because as long as it’s not snow, I am a happy girl!

Now that the weather is getting colder though, I have changed our meal plan to include more “warming” foods. Stews, Crockpot meals and soups are making their way into our schedule. Ryan is a little resistant trying some homemade soups for the first time but I convinced him he would like this one.

Potato Leek Soup

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of Butter

2 Large leeks, whites and pale green parts only. Sliced and rinsed well.

2 Large potatoes, peeled and diced into cubes

4 cups of chicken stock

1/2 cup of heavy cream (I use half and half)

Salt and pepper to taste

Fresh chives for garnish

Neves baptism 013

1. In a large pot, melt butter and add leeks. Sauté leeks until soft, about 8 minutes. 

Neves baptism 016

2. Add potatoes and stir together well.

Neves baptism 017

3. Add stock and bring to boil. Once boiling, turn down heat to a simmer and cover pot. Continue cooking for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Neves baptism 019

4. Carefully blend soup with blender (I used a hand emulsion blender) and puree to desired consistency. I like mine really smooth. Stir in cream, salt and pepper.

Neves baptism 022

5. Ladle into soup bowls, garnish and serve!

Neves baptism 023

6. Enjoy!

Confession:

This is the first soup I have EVER made.

I know. Kind of shocking. To be honest, I was super intimidated about making soup. I thought it was this long, drawn out and messy process.

Truthfully, and I know this was a very simple soup to make but, it was easy. And the reward, a delicious homemade soup. Perfect for a cold Sunday night supper!

Ryan did his usual sniff the food and eat a few hesitant bites. Then he said, “Yup, you can make this again”.

WIN!

Hope you all have an amazing weekend!

xo

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha, Ryan. Good for you to try and like it. I love home made soup, Lindsay. I often make a pot on Monday and have it every day for lunch. Sometimes I think I cook a ham with a bone in it so I can make myself and Reg a pot of homemade pea and ham soup.

    ReplyDelete