Wednesday, November 5, 2014

2014 Year of Dates–October

 

Happy Wednesday everyone! I woke up today thinking it was Thursday, talk about depressing! Ha ha!

The fact that it is already November still hasn’t set in! I love this time of year but I want to enjoy it and not have it fly by! Before the time gets away with me I want to remember the wonderful date we had in October!

It was Ryan’s date to plan this month and he was very excited for me to open the envelope because he knew that it was a date that I would love!

IMG_6050

IMG_6051

It reads, “Hey babe, its your birthday month, what better way to spend our awesome dates underground! Yes that’s right, underground! We are heading three stories underground to the diefenbunker, its history and also your grandfather had helped with the project. Love you always, Your hubby”

I was REALLY excited! So far, my favourite date this year! The funny thing is that I almost planned the same date for this year! Great minds think alike! I have always wanted to go to the Diefenbunker! I am a person that loves anything to do with history! This landmark is a very short drive from our home (once you cross the ferry). We packed up for an afternoon of fun and I was a little nervous with anticipation and fear of feeling claustrophobic.

IMG_5895 

It was surprisingly busy at this iconic site! I expected it to feel like this underground cave but it was surprisingly comfortable down there. Unfortunately, you aren’t allowed to take pictures at certain things but I snapped this one real quick! 

IMG_5897

It’s amazing that in the small down of Carp, there is this underground living facilities and all the stuff needed in case of a crisis. They had altered a bunch of sleeping quarters into exhibits. It was all very interesting and I only wished we had the time to look at it all more closely! I felt this uneasy feeling throughout the whole thing. I can only imagine the fear that was felt that made them build the Diefendunker.

Here is the tunnel you go through to get to to the living quarters:

IMG_5901

IMG_5904

We had a great visit and I love being a tourist in our town! I can’t believe it has taken me this long to visit this amazing landmark! By far my favourite date so far this year!

Happy Wednesday!

xo

2 comments:

  1. Ryan mentioned in his note that your grandfather helped with the Diefenbunker project?? I don't know this story! Do tell!!! I'd love to go there for the Haunted Walk some time. It has always intrigued me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jill, I was waiting to read about how Lindsay's grandfather was involved with this. Fill us in, please, and thanks, Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete