Friday, May 15, 2015

I Love Grocery Shopping

 

Happy Friday everyone! We are getting to celebrate a LONG weekend starting tomorrow! I am looking forward to a little extra time with my boys. Although I believe the only actual “full” day off we have together is on Sunday. “Make hay when the sun shines.”

I was lucky enough to get my groceries during the day yesterday so that it didn’t take any time away from my weekend and with Sam. For me, there is something peaceful about planning and executing a grocery list. Actually, I love to grocery shop in general.

Don’t get me wrong, I know it can be a chore sometimes. But mostly, I enjoy my experience at the store getting food for the week.

Recently, we have moved our weekly budget from $100 to $125-$150, which includes diapers for daycare and personal care items (deodorant, shampoo and etc.). With this new weekly budget we have a little more flexibility with our food options but I am still very careful with our planning.

Every week I sit down, look at our meal plan, add in any special things for weekends and lunches and then create the draft copy of my list. I then use this template to organize by aisle. This adds to enjoying my grocery shopping experience because I rarely have to go back to get something that was farther down my list.

I use to go to a grocery store that I liked because of their pricing. The problem with that store is that you have to pack your own groceries. One time Sam was having a melt down JUST as I started to pack my groceries. The eyes were all on me but not one person tried to help this frazzled first time mom. Since then, if Sam is with me, I purposely go to a store that packs my groceries for me. Is this lazy? Maybe. But I can’t predict what Sam’s mood is going to be like at the end and I don’t like the stress of trying to pack my groceries and deal with a tantrum. Thankfully, most of the time Sam is great at the store and LOVES shopping.

IMG_5392 

There is something relaxing to me about pushing a cart through a store and crossing things off of my grocery list. Shopping for our weekly supplies is usually never a stressful thing. I enjoy the outing and opportunity to look at new items and grab things to make up our weekly meals. I sent Ryan on this outing for the FIRST time a couple of weekends ago and it actually stressed me out more to send someone else. I got lots of texts with questions and he purchased items that were not our usual brand. I will have to be VERY busy to allow him to go by himself again! Ha ha!

I guess it’s part of growing up and getting older. Getting the groceries is just one of those things that you HAVE to do. Thankfully, I’ve found a way to actually make grocery shopping not seem like a chore but a fun activity that I look forward to. Now, if only I can figure out how to do that with laundry…

Happy Friday!

xo

1 comment:

  1. I've started leaving Noah when I can to do groceries. I prefer to go to only one store, but if another store has a good sale on I will go there to stock up too! I tend forget a lot when I'm shopping with Noah, even with a list! Love your list idea by isle!!

    ReplyDelete