Wednesday, November 24, 2010

12 Days of Christmas- Day 3

Hello middle of the week...come on weekend! This week seems to be dragging on a bit but I can see the end is in sight!


Today is day 3 of Aly and Molly's 12 day's of Christmas.



Today's topic


Meaningful/Memorable gift(s):


First off I would like to start by saying, I am a very lucky girl. My parents work really hard and I am thankful for everything they have given me in my life. They have really instilled alot of values into me and to me that is the greatest gift I have ever received.


I think my most memorable gift as a child is the years that my parents got my brother and I a trip(s) to Disney. We were so excited, especially the first time we ever went.


I have a couple of really meaningful gifts that come to mind.


1. One year when Dad and I went to Disney I saw this snow globe of Cinderella's castle and fell in love with it.



It was REALLY expensive and even though Dad had offered to get it for me I denied wanting it so that he wouldn't spend all that money. Never thinking anything more of it we went about the rest of the trip. The next winter I was opening a gift at Christmas time and it was the snow globe! I was so excited I started crying. At the bottom Dad had wrote a sweet message to me. I still have it at home and it will always be a symbol to me of my Dad's love.


2. This is not Christmas related at all but it brings tears to my eyes everytime I retell this story.

I was living out is British Columbia for the summer a few years ago. I was not happy and very homesick. I had made the decision to break up with my then boyfriend (of 2 years) and move back home to Quebec. I had felt like a failure. I thought I was going to make it out west and I had thought people would think I was weak for coming home.


I loaded up my Jeep Liberty and hit the road for the long drive across Canada. I would drive 16 hours a day, stop at a motel, sneak my puppy in the room with me (because most said dogs weren't allowed) and then stay up all night with my hand over the dogs mouth to try to get him to stop barking. I would wake up the next day and do it all over again, but with no sleep.


I woke up on the third day and I was broken. I was tired, heart broken, and feeling very depressed. I picked up my stuff and headed out to my Jeep to get ready for another day of driving. Except now, my Jeep was frozen, snow covered and I didn't have a scrapper. I started scraping my car with my finger nails, tears streaming down my face.


Just then a tall, beer bellied, full bearded man walked out of the motel and to his truck that was parked beside me. His truck had been scrapped and running. He looked like he was a sales man, ready to hit the road. Just as I was cleaning the back window I hear this deep man's voice;


"Excuse me Miss? I found these in my truck and thought you might like to have them?" Handing me a pair of gloves.


I was kind of in a daze with teary eyes and I took them from him. He smiled at me, grabbed the side of my arm and with a gentle squeeze told me to take care on the road today.


It may seem really silly, I mean I know it was just a pair of old farm gloves but at that very moment I needed his kindness. It lifted my spirits and I was able to peacefully continue on the road.


I never got that strangers name and I am sure he will never know the impact he had on me that day (and to this day) but I do thank God for that man being there that morning. It really showed me how the smallest gift/act of kindness can have such an impact on a complete stranger.


Note: I still have that meaningful pair of gloves safely stored away in my house.


xo

9 comments:

  1. THat story is so sweet! I know that, that snow globe is very important to you! Great gifts to love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome story! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are tired Linds cuz there are A LOT of typos LOL
    that is a great story of the kind old man - it sounds like something that should be made into a Christmas movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, that story has me in tears at my desk! What a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg!!! I love both of those!!! You made me tear up too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I had contemplated sharing it on the web but your kind words show me it was the right decision to post it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading your blog Lindsay.. You had me wiping my eyes.. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you were in the office right now and looked over at me, you would see tears!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lindsay,
    Both stories touched my heart. Your family is very special, very close and loving. Your parents have given you such good values and you reflect them. Your 2nd story might end up in a sermon sometime, if I have your permission. It does eveyone a lot of good to hear about random acts of kindness. I was walking downtown in Kingston and someone came out of their house and loaned me an umbrella and just told me to leave it on the porch next time I passed by when it wasn't raining!!! I still smile when I think of that.
    nancy

    ReplyDelete