Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cloth Diapering–The Why And Supplies

 

I wish that I could say that I started doing cloth diapers because of the environmental impact. I’m not 100% sure as to why I decided to buy some. Maybe it was my delicate state during pregnancy? The hormones? I had read a lot from other blogs that I follow about their experience with using CD. Some were good and others were bad.

I took a day one weekend and did a lot of research. I looked at costs, where to buy, up keep and tried to read more about people’s experiences online. With all that in hand, I sat down and talked to Ryan. He was VERY sceptical and said he thought it wasn’t a good idea. To him, it just didn’t make sense to spend the money on something I may not even do. He figured I would give up within the first few weeks and go to disposable. Realistically, it was a good possibility.

Despite Ryan’s opinion, I ordered our cloth diapers and was so excited when they arrived! I washed and got them all organized so that everything was ready whenever I decided to start.

IMG_0727

The baskets where they are all stored!

Here is what I have in my stash:

- 6 Velcro all in ones by Bumgenius in gender neutral colors

- 6 Snap pocket diapers by Bumgenius in gender neutral colors

- 6 Fuzzibunz snap closure, pocket diapers in gender neutral colors

- 4 Blueberry snap closure, pocket diapers in Giraffe and Cow print! (made in Canada)

 

22 diapers in total! And so far, we have never run out. This number of diapers allows me to diaper Sam successfully and do laundry once every 3 days.

When Sam was first born it was important to me that we established a good breastfeeding bond and that I healed from birth. My mind was in so many other places (and fatigued) that the last thing I wanted to do was worry about learning how to use cloth diapers!

IMG_4553

Like I have mentioned before, I kept Sam’s little bum in size Newborn diapers for about the first month. One day I realized that I had no more diapers and would have to take take the 30 minute trip (each way) to grab some. I decided to get us by a little longer, I would try a cloth! I mean, that’s what they were there for! Getting cloth diapers were one thing, using them was so much more intimidating!

IMG_4672

After that first diaper, I realized how easy it was. There was literally no difference between a cloth diaper and a disposable for usage! From then on, we have been a cloth diapering family. We still use our fair share on disposables for trips away from the house and night, there are just some situations where disposables make more sense! But I never have to worry about running out of diapers and making a special trip to get some. They are easy, if not easier, then disposable! We have yet to have one explosion out of cloth (we have from disposable) or any diaper rash! Can’t say enough good things about our experience with cloth so far. 

Next – Maintenance and Routine

Happy Wednesday!

xo

3 comments:

  1. Do you find that it's hard to get the smell out of them? Once you go back to work do you think it will be hard to maintain it for finding the time to clean etc? From what I read from blogs they sound like the way to go, but I don't know anybody who actually uses them in my life and my sister worked at a daycare and is completely against them, so I'm so conflicted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have done more research on cloth diapers. When I was a baby my mom used them and they had a diaper service that would bring you more and wash them for you. It's too bad they don't have things like that anymore!!! I think if I was a SAHM I would have been more eager to give them a try. Maybe if there is a baby #2 I will do my research!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I just love Sam's little bubble butt. ;)

    ReplyDelete